Barrington Hills Police Department

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?
112 Algonquin Rd, Barrington Hills, IL 60010, on the southwest corner of Route 62 (Algonquin Rd) and Route 59 (Hawthorne Rd).

Note: Some GPS devices and mapping programs do not map this address accurately.  Often, they will direct you to the intersection of Route 62 (Algonquin Rd) and Route 25 (Elgin Rd). This will put you approximately five miles west of the Department on Route 62.

What are your hours?
The Police Department provides 24×7 patrol service; however, administrative offices, including the Records Division, are open 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM Monday – Friday, except on Village holidays.

What are the cameras I see throughout the Village?
These devices are automatic license plate recognition (ALPR) cameras. For more information on this program, please visit the Automatic License Plate Recognition (ALPR) Camera page.

I’ve seen No Trespassing/Soliciting signs with the Department logo – how can I purchase one?
Please visit the No Trespassing/Soliciting Sign page for information on how to purchase these signs.

Is burning allowed in the Village?
Yes, but with specific restrictions, which include:

  • Must be 100 feet from any structure
  • No more than one fire/burn shall occur at any one time
  • Must be constantly attended by a person at least 18 years of age
  • Extinguishing equipment must be available for immediate utilization
  • Fire size limited to 10 feet x 10 feet x 10 feet
  • Limited to six (6) hours within any calendar day
  • Landscape burns are limited to the hours between 8:00 AM and 9:00 PM
  • Material shall consist only of dry firewood, landscape waste, or untreated/unpainted lumber which is produced or obtained for use on the premises where the materials are burned
  • Burning is prohibited when wind is in excess of 12 MPH, based on the wind speed reported by the Weather Channel (see above example)

See Village Ordinance 20-12 for full text.

How do I obtain a copy of a police case report?
Case reports can be requested through the Village’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) website.

Can I hire an officer for a special detail?
Yes. The police department will work with you to assign officer(s) to assist with your event, staffing permitting. Please visit the Contact Us page and select the subject Officers for Private Event.

Do you provide fingerprinting services?
Yes.  The Department will provide fingerprinting to any Village resident requiring this service and in possession of the necessary ink-fingerprint card(s).  While the Department uses electronic (inkless) live scan fingerprinting technology for criminal justice purposes, this equipment is not configured for any other use.  If you require live scan fingerprints for a non-criminal justice purpose, such as an Illinois Concealed Carry License, the following Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation link  is an all-inclusive list of licensed Illinois live scan vendors.

Do I need an oversize/overweight permit?
Vehicles accessing Village-maintained roads which exceed 18 tons (36,000 pounds) require a permit.  To further control roadway damage during freeze-thaw cycles, the Village may post a temporary seasonal limit of 10 tons (20,000 pounds).  A special escort permit is required for vehicles exceeding 40 tons (80,000 pounds) and for movements with a height greater than 13’6″, a width greater than 8’6″ or a length greater than 65′.

Applications for oversize/overweight permits may be obtained via Oxcart Permits.  Questions regarding permits should be directed to the Village Hall: 847-551-3000.

What if my electricity goes out?
Power outages are handled by ComEd. If your electricity goes out, you need to contact them at 1-800-Edison1. The Police Department has no control over when your power will be restored and cannot provide an estimated time of restoration. If you have an emergency during a power outage, please dial 9-1-1 for assistance.

Is hunting allowed in the Village?
It is unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any weapon in the Village. The only exception to this rule is if a resident has been issued a target shooting permit by the Department. For more information regarding weapon use or target shooting permits in the Village, please visit the Contact Us page and select the subject Target Shooting Permit.

When is curfew?
Barrington Hills follows the curfew laws for the State of Illinois and enforces curfew for individuals 17 years of age and under unless accompanied and supervised by a parent, legal guardian, or other responsible companion at least 18 years of age approved by a parent or legal guardian or unless engaged in a business or occupation which the laws of this State authorize a person less than 17 years of age to perform.

The hours enforced are between:

  1. 12:01 A.M. and 6:00 A.M. Saturday;
  2. 12:01 A.M. and 6:00 A.M. Sunday; and
  3. 11:00 P.M. on Sunday to Thursday, inclusive, and 6:00 A.M. on the following day.